Marijuana misuse and abuse prevention
Addressing marijuana misuse and abuse is a state priority.
- Accessibility is high. There are over 1,400 locations in Washington to obtain retail and/or medical marijuana (Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board).
- About 1 in 10 marijuana users will become addicted. For people who begin using before the age of 18, that number rises to 1 in 6. When youth use marijuana they can experience a reduction in their ability to concentrate, difficulty with memory, trouble learning and reduce significant brain connections (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
Marijuana use by youth in Washington State:
- 17 percent of 10th grade students report using marijuana in the past 30 days (Healthy Youth Survey, 2016).
- One in three 10th grade students thought there was little or no risk of using marijuana regularly (Healthy Youth Survey, 2016).
Prevention strategies are being implemented throughout the state at local, county, and state levels, across the Continuum of Care that influence multiple domains and risk and protective factors. Here is a list of some state-wide initiatives focused specifically on marijuana:
- Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery I-502 Dedicated Marijuana Account Prevention Plan Implementation
- Department of Health - Youth Marijuana Prevention and Education Program, including statewide media campaigns with marijuana abuse and misuse prevention messaging: You Can, Under The Influence… Of You and Know This About Cannabis)
- Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board - Alcohol and Marijuana Education
- Washington Healthy Youth Coalition – a partnership of Washington State government agencies and organization with the mission to prevent and reduce youth alcohol and marijuana use
- University of Washington Alcohol & Drug Abuse Institute – support of the Learn About Marijuana website providing science based information for the public
- Northwest High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (NW HIDTA) - provides marijuana prevention materials and impact reports.
- You Can - Department of Health Marijuana Prevention and Education Program youth marijuana use prevention media campaign for teens partner toolkit
- Under The Influence… Of You - Department of Health Marijuana Prevention and Education Program Youth marijuana use prevention media campaign for adult influencers partner toolkit
- Know This About Cannabis - Department of Health Marijuana Prevention and Education Program resource for adult consumers
- I-502 Dedicated Marijuana Account DBHR Prevention Plan Implementation
- Washington's Best Practices for Substance Abuse Prevention and Mental Health Promotion Guide
- Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board
- Start Talking Now - website for parents supported by the Washington Healthy Youth Coalition
- Learn About Marijuana - University of Washington Alcohol & Drug Abuse Institute
- Marijuana (Cannabis) Topic Page – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Tips for Teens: The Truth About Marijuana - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Prevention Policy and Project Manager