Prevention Awards of Excellence
Each year at the Prevention Summit, professionals, community members, youth, and Coalitions are recognized for their exemplary contributions to substance abuse prevention, mental health promotion and the health of their communities.
The Prevention Awards of Excellence:
Recognize outstanding community partners, including youth engaged in prevention efforts.
Focus statewide attention on exceptional prevention work.
Identify exemplary substance abuse prevention programs with exceptional outcomes that can be adopted or adapted by others.
Interested in nominating someone who has made an impact in your community?
The 2020 Washington State Prevention Awards of Excellence nomination packet is now available! Nominations are due August 10, 2020 by 5 p.m.
Examples of award categories include:
- Tribal Prevention – Tribal and urban Indian program leaders, groups, organizations, businesses, or agencies that deliver prevention services within their communities
- Youth Leadership – School age youth in grades 6 - 12
- Young Adult Leadership – Young adults working in substance use disorder prevention, suicide prevention, or mental health promotion
- Prevention Professional and/or Community Prevention Leader – Individuals associated with organization, business, agency or tribe
- Community Coalition and/or Community Prevention Group – Groups providing excellent prevention programs to a community
- Contributions to Prevention by an Organization, Business or Agency – Entities in the community that assist or support coalition or group prevention activities
- Outreach or Implementation of a Prevention Program - Exceptional implementation or outreach of an evidence based practice
Youth Leadership - Madison Langer
Youth Leadership - Cinthia Santiago-Villanueva
Youth Leadership (high school group/club) - Rock Solid, San Juan Island Prevention Coalition
Prevention Professional - Kevin Haggerty
Lifetime Achievement Recipient - Renee Hunter
Lifetime Achievement Recipient - Richard J. Catalano
Youth Leadership - Chloe Connors
Prevention Professional - Kathy Deschner
Prevention Professional - Liz Wilhelm
Lifetime Achievement Recipient - Cathy Kelly
Organization, Business, Agency - Washington Poison Control
Special Washington State Service Recognition - Mary Segawa and Julia Havens
Youth Leadership - Mary Walker
Youth Leadership - Hannah Stewart
Prevention Professional - Deb Drandoff
Prevention Leader - Jorge Bazaldua
Prevention Professional - Jason R. Kilmer, Ph.D
Tribal Prevention Professional - Kate Ahvakana
Organization, Business, Agency - David Horn, Washington State Attorney General's Office
Media Sector Award - Brian Hunt
Lifetime Achievement - Nancy Fiander
Youth Leadership - Rachel Darch
Youth Leadership (Group) - Mary Walker Middle School Washington Drug Free Youth Group
Prevention Professional - Terrie Austin
Prevention Professional - Chris Hendrickson
Prevention Professional - Dianne Swanson
Outstanding Contribution - Brian G. Dirks
Tribal Prevention Professional - Steven Dorland
Community Coalition - PREVENT!
Community Coalition - SE Seattle Peace Coalition
Lifetime Achievement - Kelly Matlock
Youth Leadership - Grace Brunke
Youth Leadership - Students Taking Action and Responsibility Coalition
Prevention Professional - Peggy Needham
Tribal Prevention Professional - Ann "Miss Ann" Penn-Charles
School-based Sector - Barbara Hawkings
Outstanding Contribution - Paul Davis
Outstanding Contribution - Robert "Rusty" Fallis
Lifetime Achievement - Julie Bartlett
Youth Leadership - Zebbie Castilleja
Youth Leadership - Danielle Salinas
Prevention Professional - Joe Fuller
School-based Sector - Dawn Tarzian
Law Enforcement Sector - Tim Bennett
Community Coalition - WellSpring Community Network
Collaborative - Committee of Okanogan County Community Coalition
Lifetime Achievement - Carla Huyck
Lifetime Achievement - Alan Zeuge
Interested in being part of the award process? The Washington State Prevention Awards of Excellence review team is looking for more members! Duties include determining award categories, reviewing nomination packets, and voting on awardees. Contact Martha Williams at Martha.Williams@hca.wa.gov for more information about volunteering.