Policy and proactive approaches to support positive behavior: School discipline, substance use, and restraint and isolation
This workshop will address legal requirements, systemic approaches, and best practices for effectively implementing school discipline as well as restraint/isolation policies and procedures.
Participants will learn about:
- The legal and social context for changes to school discipline and restraint/isolation policies and procedures
- How adult behavior influences student behavior and systemic approaches to improving conditions for learning
- Prevention/intervention approaches to de-escalation, the crisis cycle, and emergency circumstances
- Due process procedures and equitable approaches to reduce differential selection and differential processing in decision-making processes
- Restorative, trauma-informed, collaborative approaches to foster positive student-teacher relationships and improve school culture