These trainings are designed and developed for HCA/DBHR contractors and other prevention professionals. Most recent Learning Community Meetings slides and past Learning Community slides are not found on this page. Additional trainings are available on the OWL E-Learning system. Upcoming trainings can be found on the Training Calendar.
General trainings and calls:
- Summary narrative
- Presentation - Welcome and opening remarks - DBHR
- Presentation - Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) update
- Presentation - Community Prevention and Wellness Initiative (CPWI) collaboration: A showcase of Educational Service District (ESD) strategies
- Presentation - Health disparities - Vincent Perez, Equity Institute
- Handout - Cultural Capitol by Tara J. Yosso, as presented by Vincent Perez, Equity Institute
- Presentation - Provider meeting - Kasey Kates and Sarah Mariani, DBHR and Reframing the Statewide CPWI Evaluation Results - Brittany Cooper, PhD and Gitanjali Shrestha, MS, IMPACT Research Lab, Washington State University
- Presentation - Changing the Conversation about Prevention: Taking every Opportunity to Reframe - Anna Marie Trester, PhD, FrameWorks, Institute
- Case study: Start-to-finish messaging success story
- Using local data in prevention storytelling - Brittany Cooper, PhD, Associate Professor of Human Development, Director of Prevention Science PhD Program, Washington State University
- Telling the Washington prevention story: A strategic communication workshop for the Coalition Leadership Institute - Mackenzie Price, PhD, Applied Sociolinguist and Senior Associate for FrameWorks, Inst.
- The message is developed, now what? Engaging key leaders and stakeholders in your community - Blair L. Brooke-Weiss, MPH, Communities That Care
- Telling your story through social media - keys to personal and professional social media success - Stephanie Malham, Communications Consultant, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Audience engagement for rural and urban communities - Melissa Thoemke, Behavioral Health Communications Manager, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Lessons learned: Determining next steps in prevention messaging for your community
- Full slide deck
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction updates slides and quick sheet - Mandy Paradise, Prevention Intervention Program Supervisor
- Collaborative relationships: A panel discussion highlighting how to build effective collaborations and partnerships - Facilitated by Kasey Kates, HCA/DBHR
- CPWI evaluation - Dr. Brittany Cooper, WSU IMPACT
- Vashon Island LGBTQ Targeted Enhancement Project - Facilitated by Lizzie Callender, HCA/DBHR
- Telling your prevention story - Dr. Seth W. Greenfest, HCA/DBHR
Kyle D. Barrington, Ph.D., Center for the Application of Prevention Technologies
Ethics in Data Collection
Rodney Wambeam, Ph.D., University of Wyoming
Environmental Strategies Implementation
Targeted Enhancements Marketplace
- Mental Health Promotion Projects
- Secure Medicine Take-back
- Sector Sharing
- LGTBQ Communities
- Community Check Box
Seth Greenfest, Prevention System Project Manager
Sarah Mariani & Lucy Mendoza
Languages of Appreciation
Ginlin Woo, Independent Consultant
Amy Hockenberry, Ferndale Community Coalition Coordinator
Informatics for Coalition Implementation
- Organizational Development, Governance, Mission Statements - January 31, 2017
- Needs Assessment, Data Resources, and Resources Assessment - February 15, 2017
- Data Books - March 31, 2017
- Needs Prioritization and Developing a Comprehensive Prevention Approach - Planning - April 6, 2017
- Action Plan and Program Implmentation and Community Partnerships - May 4, 2017
Presentation slides and handouts:
- Future of Prevention in Changing Times - Frances M. Harding, Director, SAMHSA's Center for Substance Abuse Prevention
- DBHR Prevention Services Overview, Lunch Celebration topics, and Reveal of Washington’s Best Practices for Substance Abuse Prevention & Mental Health Promotion Guide
- CPWI Outcome Evaluation Phase II Results - Laura G. Hill, PhD, Human Development, Washington State University
- Youth Marijuana Prevention Media Campaign Update - Kristen Haley, Media & Priority Populations Consultant, Washington State Department of Health
- Workforce Development Survey Results - Scott Waller, Prevention Systems Integration Manager, DBHR
- Understanding Gay Youth: Creating LGBTQ- Inclusive Environments - Fred Swanson, Executive Director & Alyssa Piraino, HIV/STI Tester / Youth Tobacco Prevention lead, Gay City: Seattle's LGBTQ Center Presentation Handout
- IT’S PERSONAL: Sharing Your Personal Brand with the Media - Raquel Eatmon, CEO, Rising Media LLC
Mike Bebe, Leadership for Change Consulting
Keeping Coalition Members Engaged Through Advanced Facilitation Techniques
- Ball Pass-Group Juggle (Team Building Activity)
- Focused Conversation (Overview)
- Focused Conversation (Worksheet)
Jill Parker, CAPT Associate, Western Resource Team SAMHSA's Center for the Application of Prevention Technology
Advanced Sustainability and System Development
Targeted Enhancement Project Presentations
Drs. Brittany Rhoades-Cooper & Louise Parker, Washington State University
Increasing Capacity for Implementation & Ensuring Cultural Competency
These are the PowerPoint presentations and handouts from the workshop held on May 6, 2016 in Spokane, WA. Posted with permission from Washington State University.
Click on the item to open that file. All files are saved as PDFs.
Additional items related to the CPWI Coordinator Orientation:
Amelia Arria, Ph.D., presentation slides. ACADEMIC IMPACTS OF YOUTH SUBSTANCE USE: Application to Community and School-Based Substance Use Prevention.
- The academic opportunity costs of substance abuse during college, Brief Report. Center on Young Adult Health and Development. Arria, A. M., Caldeira, K. M., Bugbee, B. A., Vincent, K. B., & O’Grady, K. E. (2013).
- Nonmedical Use of Prescription Stimulants What college administrators, parents, and students need to know. Prepared by the Center on Young Adult Health and Development, 2015 | University of Maryland School of Public Health
Jason Kilmer, Ph.D., University of Washington presentation slides. Addressing Substance Use with Adolescents and Young Adults: Trends, Needs, Questions, and Strategies.
Engaging Communities to Address Health Disparities in Washington State presentation slides. CAPT Associates Haner Hernandez, Ph.D., and Janet Porter, MPH, Training and Technical Assistance Specialist, West Resource Team.
DBHR Mental Health Promotion Projects Overview presentation slides. Scott Waller, Prevention Systems Integration Manager, DBHR.
Personal Responsibility Education Program (WA PREP) presentation slides. Connections Between Substance Use and Adolescent Sexual Health